Scientific Communication and Publishing [Paper Writing Process, Research Proposal Writing & Data Management Analysis]
- Module Objectives
- Why a research proposal?
- What is the reader looking for in your proposal?
- Developing the Structure of a research proposal
- Presentation Style
- Final Product
- Main Reasons Why Proposals Get Rejected
- Module Objectives
- The Purpose of an Oral Examination
- General Steps during an Oral Examination
- Questions Commonly Asked During an OralExamination
- Tips to Make an Oral Examination a Success
Publishing and Open Access
- Understanding the academic publishing industry
- Understanding the importance of Open Access in publishing
- Using pre-print repository services-AfricArxiv
- Understanding the use of H Index
- Understanding How Impact Factor works
- Visibility of research using ResearchGate,ORCID & Publons.
Process of Writing an Academic Paper
- What are non-primary publications
- Some major types of non-primary publications
- What are primary publications
- The structure of a primary scientific article
- How to compose – The Title
- The delicate art of deciding about Authorship
- How to write – Addresses, The Abstract?, The Introduction, The material & methods, Results, Discussion, Other Parts: acknowledgements, & appendices, etc.
- How to cite & compile – References
- The writing process : how to write the first version?, Preparing the final version, How to submit a paper?
Scientific editing process
- How to interact with editor
- How to write Revisions
- What happens with the MS after acceptance?
- Technical editing
- What to do with a published paper
- How to write Conference proceedings paper, Review article, Book chapter
The Journal Selection Process
- How to decide where to send a MS for publication
- How to select a journal for your publication
Data Management and Analysis
- The theory and practice of presenting data in graphical form
- The basic principles of economy, clarity, and integrity
- Old types of graphs to avoid, new graph types: dot plot, scatterplot matrix, conditional plot
- How to design effective graphs
- How to use R Statistical software graphical analysis and presentation
- How to use SPSS Statistical software graphical analysis and presentation
- How to use STATA Statistical software graphical analysis and presentation