Anne is a freelance publishing and editorial consultant based in Nairobi. She holds an MSc in hydrobiology and a postgraduate diploma in mass communication from the University of Nairobi. She also holds a BEd in zoology and botany.
Anne specialises in editing (and occasionally writing) and supervising production of scientific (mainly agriculture and livestock) manuscripts and related policy documents. The manuscripts target a variety of audiences, ranging from extension materials to research reports and journal articles. She has also edited medical, human settlement, climate change and land tenure manuscripts among others.
Her client base includes international and regional agricultural research institutes, United Nations agencies, donor agencies, non-governmental organisations and government departments.
Anne also writes workshop reports and serves as rapporteur for meetings and compiles background documents using secondary data from literature. In addition, she advise clients on various publishing and media issues.
Anne has participated in writeshops (drafting workshops), which involve editing and often rewriting manuscripts in conjunction with the authors, following discussions with the target audience. The writeshop process is used to develop materials that are easy for the target audience to understand.
She offers training in scientific writing to clients on request. Since 2009, Nyamu offers training in scientific communication more formally through the Training Centre in Communication, based at the University of Nairobi.
Anne has been involved in planning public awareness activities including media liaison, preparing brochures, writing newsletter articles, supervising newsletter production and coordinating website development.
Since 2002 Anne has provided consultancy services to:
Agricultural research institutes
1. International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
2. World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF)
3. Forum for African Agricultural Research (FARA)
4. International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT)
5. Regional Land Management Unit (RELMA) of SIDA (later a programme in ICRAF)
6. Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA)
7. Association for Strengthening Agricultural Research in Eastern and Central Africa (ASARECA)
8. United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
9. Heinrich Böll Foundation
10. International Development Research Centre (IDRC)
11. Kenya Prisons Service
12. Kenya Agricultural Research Institute (KARI)
13. Ministry of Agriculture, Kenya
14. African Economic Research Consortium (AERC)
15. African Medical Research Foundation (AMREF)
16. International Institute of Rural Reconstruction (IIRR)
17. Institute for Education in Democracy (IED)
18. African Network for Health Management Knowledge Management and Communication (AfriAfya)
19. State University of New York (SUNY-Kenya) Parliamentary Strengthening Programme
20. Christian Reformed World Relief Committee (CRWRC)
21. Research on Poverty Alleviation (REPOA)
22. World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF)
23. Media Council of Kenya (MCK)
United Nations agencies
24. World Food Programme (WFP)
25. United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
26. United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA)
27. United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat)